Sunday, April 23, 2006

Is it too easy?

One of my fears of going on the pump was all of the work that was going to come along with it. Testing more often, checking for air bubbles in my tubing, filling the cartridge, changing the site, carrying the darn thing around with me… too much work. But is it?

Last night, we had Ryan’s sister over and had great time. We had wonderful conversations, some wine and steak tips (a household specialty) after many many “appies”. I had bloused for some of the appetizers and wine as I was munching along. Before we had the official dinner, I checked and was 148. Which was just fine with me.

After indulging in dinner, I ended up falling asleep on the couch and sleepily made my way to the bedroom after a bit of nudging by my husband.

Round about 4am I woke up. Nauseous, and feeling like the Sahara Desert has moved into my mouth. Had I had that much to drink? No way. I got up and stumbled to the living room, which was the last known location of my test kit. 298. I rubbed my blurry eyes and tried to focus again, did that really say I was almost 300? I thanked God for the bolus wizard as I corrected and went back to bed. What the heck happened?

I woke up again around 6. The answer came to me like a bolt of lightening. Duh, you didn’t cover dinner! No wonder I was so high, and honestly, I was a bit amazed that I was not higher. In the 24 years with diabetes, that was the longest I had ever gone before I realized that I hadn’t taken my insulin. Maybe this insulin pump isn’t so bothersome after, in fact, it seems that it is now too easy to make diabetes less of an importance or burden (depending on your attitude) on my day to day life.

The best part was that Bonnie, nicely corrected me to a lovely 98 this morning.


On a side note, today is my husband’s birthday! Happy birthday! Happy birthday! Happy birthday!

From your “secret” favorite movie:

"We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean?

But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.

The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day.

You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'."

-*-Shall We Dance

I love you. Here is to many many more.

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I do well on shots, when I take them as I should. I think what I am doing now is pretty easy. That is one reason why I am fearful to start pumping. Why give up something that is working? Well, answer is simple. Because there might be something better out there. And if not, nothing lost.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I've forgotten to bolus Olivia. I've also forgotten to give her a shot, when she was on MDI. It happens.

And happy anniversary.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Glad you are liking the pump. Sounds like things are going well for you. You have such an upbeat way of blogging, it is lovely. Have a great day.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was forever wondering whether I had taken a shot or not for food cuz it was such second nature. I haven't forgotten to bolus yet but I'm sure it will happen.

Wish my pump had a bolus wizard thing. I have to do the math at like 3am when I'm too high. Oh well, gues it's good for the brain!!

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home