Thursday, March 23, 2006

It takes 2 to get a thing done right....

My husband is wonderful. For a plethora of reasons, which is, of course, why I married him. He has jumped into the diabetes world head first and is doing really well in learning and accepting all of the “fun” that comes with loving someone with very stubborn, set in her ways type 1 diabetes. (yes, I am a stubborn, old school, we did it this way in 1990 so that’s how I am going to do it, don’t try and pawn off those short needle syringes on me, I use the long ones type of girl.) He knows that I hated the pump. He knows that I went on the pump for us, so I can work on my A1c and when we’re ready we can have kids. He has been very supportive in anyway that he can be while we are adjusting to me being on the pump.

Ryan leaves for work about an hour and a half before me. One of the things that he does is wakes me when he leaves to check blood sugar. (I’ve been focusing on getting my overnight basal set.) I upped my basal last night and after my obligatory check at 3 am clocked in at 78, I was interested to see what I was in the am. This morning he nudged me and handed over my flash, we both watch the screen process the test and up pops 500.

500? I rubbed my half awake eyes and think I’m adding a 0 to that.

“Does that say 50?”

‘Um, no honey, that says five hundred”
I didn’t even know my meter could read that high.

“Did you pull out the pump in the middle of the night?” he asks.
Nope, it looks ok.

“Where are those pee strip things, isn’t that the next step? Then take some insulin in a shot” He rattles off the steps as if he is Elliot P. Joslin himself.

“Actually he says, clean off your finger and check again, just to be sure”

I dipped my hand in the water by the bed side table, oh so sanitary, I know. And recheck.

“132, that’s more like it” he says proudly.

Then, staring at the vat-o-glucose tabs with the top screwed on wrong, we realize what happened. My treatment at 3 am was 3 “tutti-frutti” glucose tabs and the residue was still on my fingers.

While I could rattle off all of the amazing trips and restaurants Ryan and I have been to, and all of the wonderful things has done for me, it’s the supportive moments in the wee hours of the morning, where I am slowly but surely letting him in to help with my diabetes care, that make me know for sure. He is a keeper.

3 Comments:

Blogger Caro said...

A keeper for sure.

When I read posts like this, when I get over the heartwarmed bit, I can't help but add them to a mental checklist of exactly what I would like to find in a partner.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

Indeed. It is a very special man that can make you feel supported but not freakish. I know, I've got one. Bob ALWAYS wakes me up before he leaves for work -- so I can clock in and he can know that all is OK (or not).

I hate it when sugary sticky junk does that. It gives on a start -- to be sure. ;)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Not Your Type 1 said...

My husband is the same way! He wakes me up every morning in order to make sure I do wake up. Isn't it nice to have such a loving companion that cares and understands?

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home