Thursday, April 06, 2006

A nice problem to have…

When I was a kid, my mom used to tell me that some day when I am a grownup, testing and taking my insulin will be just like getting up in the morning and putting on my make up. She tried to make sure that I knew taking care of my body in all ways (not just diabetes) was important. We would often put on matching face masks and have pedicures together. As I got into my teenage years, I would always ask for a pedicure for birthdays for my "poor diabetes feet" (wink, wink)

I couldn't help but think of that this morning when I was watching the Today show, drinking coffee, and trying to keep the dog away as I quickly changed my infusion site. It's just my life. Changing my site is just like putting on my makeup. (Although there are often days where I skip the makeup.)

Last night, I was showing some good friends Bonnie for the first time. They were very cool and asked some great questions. One of the things they asked was, "So, you have this on all the time?" Yep, all the time.

I was thinking of that this morning as I was talking with my husband about my 30th birthday (coming up all too soon) And since some things do not change, I immediately wondered how I could work a trip to the spa into the big day plans. (I have even gone so far as to ask my endo for a script for a pedicure after he examined my feet. He laughed, I guess he thought I was joking.) I love the spa. I love going and papering my skin and muscles. It is my ultimate guilty pleasure. This body does a lot for me, despite the whole autoimmune thing, I should be nice to her. But then I was thinking about logistics of it all. How does one get am hour and a half body scrub massage thing with a pump. I am still stumped.

Anyone have any suggestions?

5 Comments:

Blogger Lyrehca said...

Hi,

I too love spa stuff. I think I had last had a body scrub thing just before I went on the pump, but I've had many massages with the pump and I just leave it attached and nestled next to my hip or wherever through the massage. For a scrub, I'd leave it on, too, but maybe bring a plastic zip-lock back to put the actual pump in a bag so no scrub stuff gets on it during the treatment. And when it's time to shower off the scrub stuff, just disconnect and reconnect when you're back out of the shower.

Enjoy your spa treatment! I wish I could go more often than I do.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Just disconnect for an hour and a half.

When we bring Brendon to the beach, he's disconnected for about that long before I check him.

If you want to leave it on, the masseuse will be very careful to work around it in addition to what Lyrehca said too :)

7:58 AM  
Blogger caren said...

Thanks Ladies, I knew someone would have some suggestions! :)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Flmgodog said...

I too love to go to the spa.
What I have done in the past is disconnet and then I bought these covers that are made of Tegaderm at the pharmacy (like bandaids) they go over your site and completely protect them from water and other elements. I put one of those over my site that way even if mud get on it I can easily wash it off with out worrying about my site or anything else.
I also use these for water aerobics.
Take care!!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Going to a spa sounds like a lovely way to celebrate your 30th!

Caren, I love your attitude-- hope my son feels the same way about his diabetes care when he's a grownup.

Also, wanted to thank you for commenting recently on my blog-- I'll add a link to your site today.

Take care,

Sandra

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home