Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Little victories…


I remember when humalog came out. I was so used to waking up high and it literally taking all day to come down. Around dinner time I’d level out, just long enough to go back to bed and rise again… those dastardly teenage hormones. My nurse, a type 1er herself, raved to me about this new insulin called humalog. I was given strict warnings about how and when to take it, and not to take it until I see the food I was going to eat because it worked SO quickly. Bla bla bla… I’d heard about miracle things before (yes, I even tried the air pressure “no needles” thing) so I was less than excited.

The morning after my appointment I woke up around 270. I thought I’d give the new stuff a test drive. It still looked like regular to me, still smelled like insulin… I took a few units and waited. One hour and 17 minutes later I was 135, and floored. I could not believe it actually worked!! I ran around the house telling anyone with ears how amazing it was to me that it was only 10:30am and I was in range! A few smiling head nods later from my mom and brother I was still in awe. It actually did what it said it would do.

When I went on lantus the result was not quite as energetic, but I was happy to give away my NPH thinking that the new stuff had to be better. Control wise it was, but man oh man, the sting from that shot always hurt. It often times was so bad it would take my breath away.

Being on the pump, I feel like that teenage girl again… Every time I check and am in range I think, “Hot damn, it does what they said it would.” Despire my long standing dislike of the pump, I am loving every second.

I don’t miss those lantus shots, not one tini-tiny bit!

8 Comments:

Blogger art-sweet said...

Caren -

I remember that humalog moment as well! Oh how I love that stuff.

And the needleless injector? Blech. It went in the trash can along with the fingersticker that looked like a guilletine and that wierd port thing that was like an infusion set minus the pump - you gave your shots into it.

Does anyone else remember those?

And chemstrips? Does anyone remember chemstrips?

8:48 PM  
Blogger caren said...

I think the "old school" question is how many times did you cut your chemstrips? In half/ thirds? I remember a friend that has a machine that cut them into quarters! Ah the old days...

We should have known there was something strange about the medi-jector when we were told that we knew if we were doing it right if we saw a bruise. My dance teacher asked if I was being abused. Sad but true!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

Congratulations, Caren...

I am one of those who cut strips into quarters... Old School, I guess..

And I remember that needleless injector and the cigar-burn like marks it left on your skin. Yikes. I used it twice -- in the hospital (in the days when they would send us type 1s for in-patient "back to basics" week-long stays at Joslin or Waltham/Weston with Stu Brink) and told the nurse she was crazy if she though I'd use it again when she entered my hospital room with it in hand for the third time.

12:34 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Good for you . I can't imagine what it must be like. But you seem to have a nice support group and a great attitude! Good luck to you! ~ jb///

10:08 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

I remember chemstrips. I remember that glass test tube set for testing urine, too. Drop in those tablets that looked like Paas egg coloring kits and compare away.

We cut the test strips into thirds. And my first meter was about the size of a cordless phone. And the Clara Barton Camp bathrooms were in the lab, not in the cabins.

Ah... the good ol' days.

Thank goodness they've passed!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

Kerri -- Do you remember how hot the test tube got when you dropped the tablets in? I burned myself good on one when I was nine -- I still have the scar... N

4:08 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I don't remember Chem stips, but I do remember Humalog coming out. My nurse called it the "Tim Taylor" insulin, because it was so much better. At camp, the kids that used Humalog got to go to the front of the food line, because it supposedly worked so fast, 2 minutes was too long to wait.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Nicole - Those tubes were blazing hot! Good thing they came with the chemistry setup thing. I have never felt more like Bill Nye the Science Guy in my life.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home