Tuesday, January 09, 2007

lightbulb moment

I was sitting at my desk at work and all of the sudden the light directly above me went off. The rest of the office was still lit appropriately, it’s just me that noticed, and embarrassingly enough, it took me a minute to realize what happened. All of the sudden something was just different.

I skipped my last endo appointment. It was right around the holidays and I just had too much going on in my little world. Just the same, I tried to take a little time and download my pump and meter and take a look at things. I find it’s not always that my doctor has great suggestions, it’s that life is too busy to stop and listen to what these numbers are telling me. The 30 minutes in his office is all I need to stop and make the changes that will correct whatever my current dilemma is.

I downloaded and looked at the graphs and charts. I tinkered with colors and labels and really didn’t get too far. I didn’t see any major trends during any part of my day. (I used to run higher in the afternoons, but those seemed ok) I had this nagging feeling that while I was doing ok, I wanted to be consistently lower. Do I up my basals? Which ones? I am borderline low in the morning anyway … hum… I figured that the answer would come to me eventually. Maybe I should have kept that appointment after all…

And then it dawned on me. I lowered my target so that when I corrected with my pump, it was correcting to 90 rather than 110. After that little change my numbers have been right where I’d like them. Unless, of course, I don’t count my carbs right- but that’s a whole ‘nother post anyway!

Sometimes diabetes is like turning a light off and on. Simple acts that sometimes are taken for granted can make a big difference. You just need a little change of scenery to see what the answer was all along.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Isn't that a weird thing when something like that happens?! A sudden change for you, and the rest of the world doesn't even seem to take notice.

Funny how those "small" changes in our pump settings can really make a noticeable change in things!

Glad to hear that things are going well for you.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Good to hear of your successful change! Maybe I should fine-tune a bit. There is always something that can be optimized.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home