Wednesday, November 29, 2006

baby steps...

Thank you

No, really, thank you so much for the comments and support everyone. It really means a lot to me to know that it’s not just me and “bonnie” against diabetes. Rock on OC, rock on...

When I was a kid I was so afraid to admit when I wasn’t 100% on the ball with my diabetes care. I used to hide my blood sugar results from anyone and everyone, because “I had it under control and it was my problem” luckily the thinking of the diabetes community, and my own self acceptance has let me share with other people and bring in the support I need.

I cleaned out a section of our bathroom last night and got an organizer for my pump stuff. It made changing it this morning just a little quicker and easier. (we still have boxes everywhere and locating the mimimed section of brown boxes was easier said than done. Although I did find a box of shoes that I was looking for!) I also got a little pill case and put my non-insulin drugs in my purse, that way if I forget to take them before I leave the house, I am not skipping them for the day. Hopefully that will get me back on track.

Taking them this morning I remembered the last time I was at my endo. I figured that at 30 years old, I had to own up to the fact that I just wasn’t taking them as often as I should. I always took my insulin, isn't that good enough? I knew the “oh s*it, I have an appointment next week” motivator and taking them for a few days before I go visit the vampires in the lab just doesn’t cut it. I talked to my doctor about missing my pills, and his response defines why I really enjoy going to see him.

He starts off each meeting with a “how have YOU been” we rarely dive right into diabetes management. We talk about my job or a recent trip or how his kids are doing in college. And then ease into the “details.”

Eventually I owned up.

“Well, you see, I have not been good at taking my little yellow pill and my little white pills everyday”

“Ok, well, can you think of ways we can help make that easier for you” replied my supportive and not overbearing yet motivating doctor.

We thought of a variety of things and discussed it before he brought my lab results up on the screen. We both looked at the numbers and I didn’t have to ask what they meant. They were up since I was not taking my wonder drugs.

He just smiled at me and said, “well, at least we know they work”

Somewhere is my blood stream swimming around today are those little wonder pills…. Work away little guys, work away.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lyrehca said...

Welcome back.

I totally hear you about setting up a special place for all your supplies in your bathroom. I've never thought about this before, but when I lived alone, I had a big linen closet that had a special shelf (front and center) for all my diabetes supplies. It made getting to everything really easy.

When I moved in with Mr. L, he built some shelves on a closet door that I used (and weren't as spacious). I actually had a pang for my old linen closet when I first tried to cram all my boxes into these tiny door shelves.

Now we live in a bigger place and I have another big closet for all my stuff and it makes me happy again (unfortunately, it's in the same room we expect to put the baby in, so I'm going to need to relocate my stuff again.)

But what my windy post is trying to say is that I hear you about finding an easy and spacious place for all y(our) diabetes stuff. It's comforting, just like your endo sounds like he is.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Your doctor sounds really awesome. Which is great.

It's often very hard to find someone like that who can work with you and not feel like an enemy.

Way to go on making some small adjustments that should help you get on track.

Take care!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Flmgodog said...

Caren,
I am so glad you are back. We missed you!!!
I am glad your you are back on track. I think we all try to put diabetes on the back burner at different points. Good for you for trying to get back on board!!!
Take care!!!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home